This is part idle speculation and part extrapolation from the datamined information from WoWhead.
What we do know is that as you build reputation with the Tillers, helping Farmer Yoon repair his old family farm, you will eventually take it over. First however, we have to help Farmer Yoon get the farm back on it’s feet and then gain the respect of the Tiller’s Union by doing favours for various people as well as some manual labour and of course a spot of Virmen slaying.
Our first faltering footsteps into the farming world.
The Family Farm – This is the quest which first introduces you to Farmer Yoon.
A helping Hand – Given the unyielding rocks in the screenshot below, it would make sense that this is one of the first quests Farmer Yoon offers you. After all, you can’t plant crops in a field full of stones.
Learn and Grow 1: Seeds – Once the fields are empty of stones, then you need to buy or otherwise acquire seeds. This quest sends you in search of Merchant Greenfield at the nearby market to purchase cabbage seeds.
Becoming respected members of the community.
Getting Votes from the Tiller’s Union. These all follow a similar pattern, you go and see the Farmers, they say something dismissive about you and Farmer Yoon whilst revealing that they currently have some sort of problem they’re struggling to fix.
Improving and building up the farm
Growing the Farm 3 – getting rid a large rock somewhere on the farm. There are a couple of possible candidates.
Whilst playing around on the Beta taking screenshots for this post, I noticed that you could earn reputation with individual members of the Tiller’s faction. A quick flick around on WoWhead confirmed this as intended. Given that it’s highly unlikely Blizzard are taking a leaf out of Bioware’s book and letting you become friends with these farmers, I wonder if this is how we earn the seeds and animals for our farm.
Each of the people we can do dailies for could potentially offer a different item for our farms. Here are a couple of examples:
- Fish keeps pigs down by the lake and could on reaching a certain reputation offer us a couple of piglets.
- Old Hillpaw has prizewinning chickens.
- Chee Chee is surrounded by sheep.
- Farmer Fung: From the quest “Farmer Fung’s Vote”, we know this gentleman has the biggest vegetables in the Valley.
It looks as if there are three types of dailies. One set which are always picked up from the same person and offer just Tillers rep and then another set in which you gain rep with the individual Tillers. I’ll go into the last set later on.
I’m going to gamble slightly here and say the general Tiller dailies are offered by our new friend Farmer Yoon.
- Simian Sabotage – blowing up stolen goods.
- Stalling the Ravage – killing Hozen.
- Stealing is bad.. Re-stealing is ok – reclaiming stolen vegetables.
- The Lesser of Two Evils – killing the Virmen Denmother.
- The Kunzen Hunter-Chief – killing you guessed it, the Hunter Chief.
Rep with Individuals:
- A Gift for Haohan – getting the tooth of an enormous grouper for Haohan
- Pest Problems – jumping on Marmots for Haohan
- Not in Chee-Chee’s Backyard – killing Hozen for Chee Chee
- Money Matters – debt collecting for Gina Mudclaw
- They don’t even wear them – rescuing jewellery for Tina Mudclaw
- The Kunzen Legend-Chief – stealing a book of Kunzen legends for Fish Felreed
- Weed War II – flattening weeds for Jogu the Drunk
- Where it Counts – disrupt a ritual for Sho
- You Have to Burn the Ropes – burn some ropes for Ella
- Water, Water Everywhere – water the dusty ground for Farmer Fung
- Chasing the Chickens – catch Old Hillpaw’s prize winning chicken
Besides this list, there is also another list of quests for each of the Tillers, like this one for Old Hillpaw. What I love the most about this is that each of the Tillers has a favourite dish. We need to bring Braised Wolf to Old Hillpaw and Shrimp Dumplings to Ella. Given that all the dishes required for “A Dish for …..” seem to be cooking recipes, it’s possible that we’ll see more use for our professions in helping us farm rep this expansion.
This set of dailies seems a bit of a departure from the daily questing norm, as it appears that you collect or make an item and then can choose which person to give it to. In another twist, it seems that each Tiller likes certain things, for example you could give the Jade Cat to either Chee Chee netting you 540 rep or to Ella which would reward you with 900.
The view from the front steps. There is Farmer Yoon working away at the large rocks which litter the property. You can also see the broken up wagon which will be removed in one of the quests.
More rocks plus a small pen for keeping animals.
There is a pond for growing waterlilies or lotuses. The house is a little one storey affair but since location is all, we’ll be well placed right next to the Halfhill market (which you can see in the above screenshot). Bear in mind though, that given the amount of tidying up we’re going to be doing through the quest chains, the removal of all the rocks, plus the weeding and the getting rid of the rubbish, it’s going to look completely different as a fully functional farm.
I also found myself wondering if we get a farm dog. This might be more wishful thinking on my part but this quest definitely suggest the presence of a dog somewhere.
Despite the fact that I didn’t particularly enjoy questing through the Valley of the Four Winds, this is one set of dailies I am looking forward to doing. That is unless they decide to add tilting at windmills or jousting with carrots sometime between now and live.
I’m also curious as to just how much of my speculation is correct so roll on the next Beta patch please.